Last month, I found some family photographs from when I was growing up that (accidentally) matched older photographs from my mother's childhood. As you can see in the collage above, our holiday traditions have carried over from one generation to the next as well! (I love that the Christmas trees in the two upper-right photos look like they're two halves of the same tree.)
Some things never change, and Christmas is one holiday that proves it. It's also a holiday that can come with a tremendous amount of crazy, for better and for worse. Because I had so much fun creating the Something Scary posts in October, I'm planning a 12 Days of Christmas series to ward off any Grinch moods that might try to creep in this month. I hope they'll help you remember all of the joyful parts of the season, too!
Let's start with a 12 Christmas Movies Quiz--Can you guess which movie each news headline is referring to? (Answers are at the end of this post.)
- Misfit quadruped has a bright future thanks to Christmas Eve storm.
- Flimsy fauna finds a home.
- Wet Bandits terrorize neighborhood no more.
- Divorce` knocks delivery man off of roof, must take his place.
- Once-bullied outcast reconciles with town, gets a new heart.
- Blue-nosed Dickens reports: Local inter-animal family blessed by reformed businessman.
- Broken-limb mystery darkens one family's doorstep.
- Soggy menswear found in greenhouse. Children say they won't cry.
- Newlywed couple credits comatose brother for introducing them.
- Toy store saved by a clever brain and a brick.
- A not-so-happy holidays for utility workers: city-wide blackout and sewer explosion among the Christmas calamities.
- Grounded spirit hears jingle, gets promoted.
Ready for the Answers?
(1) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, (2) Charlie Brown Christmas, (3) Home Alone, (4) The Santa Clause, (5) How the Grinch Stole Christmas, (6) Muppet Christmas Carol, (7) A Christmas Story, (8) Frosty the Snowman, (9) While You Were Sleeping, (10) Home Alone 2, (11) Christmas Vacation, (12) It's a Wonderful Life.